Monday, March 16, 2009

Stick me with needles...???


Yes. That's right. Today I started acupuncture.  I have been hearing about it for people with MS for a while and that it is quite beneficial.  Being half scared of needles, I needed a reason to go and a close friend to tell me it wasn't that bad!  And she was right.  

I have serious insomnia.  This started soon after I was diagnosed with MS and had a rather huge round of steroids.  So along with the wonderful irritability and acne that steroids cause, I also got insomnia - that didn't go away!  I do know that alot of people with MS suffer from insomnia, so the root cause is as good your guess as it is mine.

So I went in a few weeks back for the consultation to see if I was a candidate for acupuncture. That part was free.  This guy is quite knowledgeable and I love the idea of natural medicine.  I am finished liking sleeping "assistance", so this is my new approach.  He talked extensively about how your body systems work together, i.e. endocrine, nervous, etc. and that natural medicine such as acupuncture helps these things work in harmony.  Sounded great to me! Time for the needles...

I went back in today at noon, had a great re-visit with the doc and laid down on the massage table.  Wonderful memories of my last massage came back to me as I laid down and listened to soft music.  Well, it wasn't as enjoyable as a massage, but it wasn't torture either.  As I laid there, I prayed that the Lord would guide the doc's hands and that He just be present with me and use this treatment to the betterment of my body.  

I got about 12 pricks and then laid and relaxed for about 30 minutes.  Let me tell you, I don't understand how it works, but boy did I feel gooey and relaxed when we were done! Hooray! I am hoping that my afternoon nap when I got home is just a taste of how well this stuff is gonna work!  I can't wait to get stuck with needles again...

No comments:

Post a Comment